Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Taking the time to say Hello

Its amazing how a simple hello, in person, or on text message can be a life changer for some people who are needing the encouragement the most.

I am probably one of the worst for being a snob- being too busy to say hi, or too busy to respond to text messages. So, if you fall into the snob category too, you've got some company. Hoping we can fix that though!

I was prompted to write this blog about taking the time to say Hello, because of a message I received from a friend from Western Canada who texted me last week.

I was hanging out with other friends in Barrie during the day, and when her text message of "Hello how are you" came,  I felt I was too busy to respond... I saw the message, read it, and chose to respond perhaps the next day... not even acknowledging that I had received the message.

I thought nothing of it, no big deal right?  She'll understand that I'm busy and that I can talk to her tomorrow.

Then... tomorrow came... and something I didn't expect to hear.

My friend told me over the phone, that when she messaged me on Wednesday night.... she was at home alone, with her car on in her garage... attempting to commit suicide.

But she didn't go through with it..... Because ONE friend managed to help and comfort her in that sad time.

But it wasn't me.

I DIDNT event know she was having suicidal thoughts!!! :(

But if I cared to say Hello... even when I was BUSY... perhaps she would have told me what was on her mind, what she was feeling, and I could have been an encourager to her.

But I was too busy!!!!

And today I feel horrible for it.  But, on a positive note,  I was able to pray with her over the phone, and tell her that if ever she's in a rut ever again, I assured her I would make the time to help and encourage her.

May this story of what happened to me this week, help serve as a "wake up call" for all of us, that a Simple "Hello" can make the world of a difference for someone whom you don't even know might need it.




No comments:

Post a Comment